Thursday, April 18, 2013

Tutorial: Summertime!

Springtime has finally reared it's head here in the Netherlands! Which means I get to break out the bright colours, eyeshadow and lipstick. Generally I tend to wear darker and more neutral things in fall/winter and for summer/spring I go bright. Nothing suits a great pair of sunglasses better than a bold, bright lip.

Since I was inspired the wonderful sunshine, I decided to show how I implement bold colours into my make-up without it being "too much". Now the term "too much" differs from person to person, obviously, but I am a lover of neutrals when it comes to eyes, yet in the warmer months I try to incorporate some colour.

Let's get started!


Here's my naked face! Or well, not completely naked, it's moisturized and primed with the MAC Prep + Prime Skin Base and my eyelids are primed with the Catrice Prime and Fine Eyeshadow Base. Especially in the summer months, primers make or break a make-up look. I have oily skin, and I -need- primers to keep the oils under control, so it doesn't ruin my make-up.


To even out my skin, I first used the Catrice BB Allround Foundation (010 light), which I applied with a Sigma Flat Top Kabuki brush. This gives lighter coverage than using my Beauty Blender and sometimes you don't want a lot of makeup on and this is perfect! To conceal redness, dark circles and other discolourations I used the Catrice Camouflage Cream (010 Ivory, buffed in with a soft blending brush. This particular one is from Hema! I powdered it off with MAC Studio Fix Powder (NC20).


For my brows I used a mixture of Naked 2 and Faint from the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette with an angled liner brush and set it into place with my Hema Eyebrow Gel in Brown.


Before applying eyeshadow I applied my Urban Decay Glide-On Pencil in Demolition along my lashline and smudged it slightly with an angled liner brush. Applying this under eyeshadow gives soft definition to the eye and generally just makes your lashes look thicker. Hooded lids like mine lend themselves more to this type of lining, instead of a harsh line which only makes your lid look smaller and would hide the small bit of shadow you see when I have my eyes open.


Time for the eyes! For most of this, I used my Sleek Storm Palette, you can read my review for colour references! With a fluffy blending brush, I softly defined my crease with the light, matte, warm brown colour. I usually apply this type of colour first, it just helps whatever other colours I use on the eye blend in better and helps my crease colour fade out better. To define the crease I used the matte, dark brown in the palette with a crease brush. All over the lid I applied the champagne/gold colour with a flat shader brush and patted it onto the lid.


As you can see, blending is key! To me a look is not done untill everything is blended seemlessly. (Where it needs to be, of course!)


To highlight my inner tearduct I used the lightest colour in the Sleek Palette on a slightly fluffy paddle brush. This just pulls a look together, if you ask me. A tearduct highlight makes you look more awake and generally brightens up your eyes.


For a little more definition I applied the dark bronze-y colour from the Stom Palette along my upper lashline and blended it up slightly. This just helps create more depth and definiton and adds a little more shimmer, which shows up great in sunlight!


With a large eyeshadow brush I used a light pink, matte Inglot shadow to highlight under my brow and if you'd want to, you can end the eyelook here. Slap on mascara, lip and blush of choice and you're done!
But as I stated in the beginning this look is all about brights, and thus we're going to take it a little further!


And here it is! This shadow is by Maybelline New York, a younger (cheaper) sister to regular Maybelline. The colour is 637 and is a bright turquoise with cool toned shimmer run through it. It is HIGHLY shimmery, so you need to apreciate that, but you can do this "pop of colour" trick with any colour, really. A gold, silver, purple, green, you name it! Anyway... I applied this on my lower lashline with a small pencil brush, making sure not to blend it too much, to make sure the colour kept it's intensity.


Time to curl lashes and apply mascara. I (as usual) used my Tweezerman Lashcurler and my Maybelline One-by-One Waterproof mascara. I always use waterproof, otherwise within a few hours I have mascara halfway down my cheeks. And let's be honest, that's not a very sexy look. I like mascara, I like a lot of mascara and this one is very buildable without being too clumpy, on me at least.


And that's the eyes done! A white or flesh coloured liner on the waterline would brighten the eyes a lot, but my eyes were bothering me and my lenses were annoying, so I chose to skip the liner.


On my cheeks I used NYX Powder Blush in Angel and my Dior Rose Diamond Shimmer Powder. I skipped bronzer, although you can definitely do it, I just wanted to keep the cheeks fairly lowkey.


And this is the look before the lips are done! Now... With the lips you can do several things, to keep things calm you can go for a tinted lipbalm or a gloss OR you can go full out and do a hot pink or fuschia. I show some of the options below!


This is just a very light pink gloss, it's from a Catrice Limited Collection, but I don't remember the name. Any pink gloss does the job, really.

And now... My favourite!


This is the Rimmel Apocalips Lip Laque in Apocaliptic. A darkened, bright pink which is just gorgeous! As said above a bright fuschia would totally work as well, but I felt like this one today. And that concludes this tutorial.


Do you try to incorporate more colour into your looks in the warmer months? Which and how, let me know below!


Thank you for reading and untill next time!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment