Thursday, April 25, 2013

Review: Hema Cosmetic Brush Cleaner!


A while ago I made a post about cleaning make-up brushes, using shampoo. This is obviously not for everyday, but for a deep cleaning once a week or so. If you want to clean your brushes in between uses or you want to re-use your brush for another colour, then what? That's where brush cleansers come into the picture! Many brands make these, the most known one by MAC.


Recently the most Dutch store of them all, Hema, released their own brush cleanser: Hema Cosmetic Brush Cleaner. This pink fluid supposedly cleans the brushes and dries very fast. Perfect for cleaning between uses!


First off, as I opened the bottle, I noticed that the opening was huge. This made me a slightly sad panda, as it does make the product a little harder to work with and will most likely make for waste of product, but for € 4,50 I am not going to complain TOO much about packaging really. I think the bottle in itself looks good, very sleek and of course being pink only makes it better in my book.

Time to test it out!


Here are 4 of my most used make-up brushes. A dual-fiber stippling brush that I use for blush application, a flat eyeshadow paddle-brush, a crease brush and a fluffy blending brush. As you can see they are in dire need of a cleaning!


I did the exact same to all the brushes: I put some of the brush cleanser on some toilet paper (textured is better as it creates friction and helps get all the dirt and grime out of your brushes) and just swirled the brush in the product untill no more came off the brush.


This was the dirtiest of the brushes and as you can see it is not "clean" but it didn't give off anymore colour, so ready for use with another colour or for another day. This is the point of a brush cleanser, they are not for deep cleaning, but for in between, so I am actually pretty impressed, especially for that price.


Here are the brushes afterwards. As you can see the white bristles are still sort of "stained" with colour, but none of them gave off any. They were all dry and ready for use in less than 30 seconds.



Pros:

  • Readily available (in Holland) as it is sold in all Hema's throughout the country.
  • Dries quick, no water needed.
  • Pricepoint: € 4,50
  • Does the job without too much hassle.


Cons:

  • The opening of the bottle is too big to be practical, so I will probably decanter mine into a small spray bottle for easy use.
  • The product has a bit of a sweet smell, which can annoy some people. It doesn't linger on the brushes, so I don't find it offensive.

Conclusion: I'm happy with my brush-cleanser. It's not an AMAZING product, but it does work and I can get more uses out of a brush before having to wash it. If you are looking for a decent brush-cleanser, this is definitely worth trying out!

How do you clean your brushes? What's your favourite method and products for doing so? Let me know in the comments below.

Thank you for reading and until next time!

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment