Monday, April 8, 2013

Catrice Cocktail Review!

My favourite budget brand, Catrice, recently renewed their collection and I picked up some things that seemed interesting and now I want to share them with you!

I got three items from the new collection, their take on a BB cream, a new creamy concealer and eyeshadow primer. (The primer mainly because Sephora will be leaving Holland soon and I most likely won't be able to get my TFSI (Too Faced Shadow Insurance) anymore. BOO!) Anywho, let's get crackin'!


Catrice BB Allround Foundation Multi-Benefit Makeup, 010 Light Beige (€5.99). (Sheesh, what a moutful!)
BB Creams are all over the place at the moment and from what I gather from other blogs, most of them are flops, and do not compare to the real (asian) BB creams.


The packaging is really nice, looks and feels a lot higher-end than it really is. I like the fact that it comes in the box and that it's a tube. Tubes make for easier use and makes it easier to control the amount you get out of it. The tube is, as you see, an iridescent pink with metallic print on it. It looks VERY girly, and I have to admit I really like it!


My favourite part of the packaging is this tiny little nozzle, perfect for control of product, easy to keep clean and generally very hygienic. If only all budget-brands had this amazing packaging!

On the packaging 6 promises are listed:


  1. Balancing - hydrates the skin and reduces shine with oil-absorbing powder.
  2. Correcting - minimizes the visibility of pores, softens imperfections and hides all types of pigmentation and discolouration.
  3. Protecting - contains UV filters that protect the skin from UV rays.
  4. Illuminating - with illuminating pigments that guarantee a radiant glow and silky skin.
  5. Covering - conceals imperfections.
  6. Moisturizing - contains sweet almond oil that treats dry and sensitive skin.
Paraben free.

As you see, it's a lot of promises, and it got me curious as I have a lot of issues that need helping. I tend to have very dark undereye circles, I have redness through my cheeks and forehead, pores and oily skin.



Here you see the consistency of the product well, and the "illuminating" effect it gives. It is by no means a full coverage BB cream, unlike those you see in Asia, but I like the effect none the less. It looks natural, blends easily and is a light to medium buildiable coverage.





I applied two layers of the BB cream, each time not using anything more than a pea-sized amount. I applied it with a damp Beauty Blender sponge (magical foundation tool!), no powder and the effect is that which you see above. It sort of has a blurring effect to it, it has diffused much of my redness and my pores. Nowhere near enough coverage to completely cover it all, but with a product like this, I truly don't mind that. This picture was taken fairly up close with a flash and as you can see the SPF 30 in the product does not give any flashback at all, which I am happy about. It wears comfortably, but on oily skin you definitely need to powder it and for the summertime I will most likely be using a base underneath to optimize wear-time. 

If you are looking for foundation with sun-protection and don't need full coverage, I'd say this is a very good option, especially considering the price. The brand does pretty much only cater to lighter skin-tones though, but if you can find your colour, I'd definitely advise giving this a go for summer!



Catrice Camouflage Cream, 010 Ivory (€2.99).
A good concealer is a must for any make-up using gal, and many of us spend years on finding the perfect concealer. And even then that might be two at the same time, one for the face (blemishes, discolouration, etc) and for under the eyes.


This concealer comes in a pot which looks (again) very high-end. The pot is plastic with a screw-on lid. The concealer itself is a light beige with a yellow-y undertone. And dear readers... I'm sold on this baby! It's just under €3 and it's amazing. For both facial concealing but also for under my eyes!

Amazing concealing! Also my giant, curling iron accident scar!
As you can see above, we're talking some heavy duty concealing, which is awesome for the amount of money you spend on it!



The concealer applied under my eyes, applied with my finger and blended in with my Beauty Blender. If blended in well it does not sit in the fine lines around my eyes and it does need to be powdered, but I am in love! If you are looking for a heavy duty concealer for a good price, this is your stop! (If they have your colour, there are only 3.)


Catrice Prime and Fine Eyeshadow Base, (€3.99)
If I wear makeup, I wear eyeshadow. If I wear eyeshadow, I wear a shadow base. Which I why I found this an interesting product. I am always game for a cheaper option, as long as it lives up to what I am used to. 


The eyeshadow base is a thick, flesh coloured cream. It is a bit thicker than I'd like, which makes it a bit harder to distribute over the lid, but it does dry to a very matte, smooth finish. Completely different than my TFSI(Too Faced Shadow Insurance), but I like it. It really works, keeps my shadow from creasing and even provides a bit of coverage for those days when you just wanna keep it simple. It does need to be topped off with a powder, I think, but it might very well be able to replace my TFSI.


If you scroll up, you can see that I have some purple-ish hue on my lids and as you see in the picture above the primer is enough to cancel that out. On the above picture it IS topped with wash of skintoned eyeshadow, but not enough to provide any coverage on it's own, so the effect here is truly just the base. If you have dry lids and don't have a problem with creasing eyeshadow, you're a lucky SOB. If you have oily lids like myself and need something to help your eyeshadow stay in place (and show up better and blend better) this at least something to try out!


Wearing the three above mentioned products and a light dusting of MAC Studio Fix powder in NW 20.


The rest of my face done.
  • Brows: Faint from the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette and Hema Eyebrow Gel in Brown
  • Bronzer: The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder in 3
  • Blush: Hema Illuminating Blush in 6
  • Highlighter: Catrice Prime and Fine Highlighting Powder in 010 Fairy Dust. (Wearing this on my cheekbones, inner corner of the eye and browbone.)
  • Lips: Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream.
All in all I am VERY pleased with all the products, but if I was to truly recommend one, that would be the concealer. It rivals (and beats) many high end products, and only costs a fraction of those.



Bonus picture! Sometimes it's hard to take pictures for your blog when you have curious monkeys like this one running around. This is Diego, a 3 year old Maine Coon. 


Thank you for reading! Got any recommendations, comments or questions? Let me know below.

Untill next time!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment