Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Review and swatches: Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquers!

L-R: Big Bang, Celestial, Apocaliptic
These are the bees knees when it comes to beauty-news at the moment, everyone is raving about them. And honestly? I can't blame them, these are amazing! I've gotten three colours and I've hugely enjoyed playing with them.

Let's start on the outside, the packaging. It looks like a regular lip-gloss tube, but I do like the black that fades to transparent. It looks nice and higher end than what Rimmel is, let's be honest. We all know their purple lipstick tubes, which do look awesome.. When you're 15. The black fades to transparent at the bottem where you can see the colour of the Lip Lacquer, which I personally find very handy, no fiddling around with packaging. The silver print gives it a bit of an edge, which I also sort of like. It's mature enough, without looking boring then. I'm a fan of this!

L-R: Big Bang, Celestial, Apocaliptic

The Lip Lacquers come with a doe-foot applicator (as all lipglosses do) but this one has a small dent in the center, which means that you get the perfect amount of product when applying these. As you extract the applicator, there's a dispenser at the opening of the tube, making sure you don't get out too much product. It all seems very thought through, and also makes this a good handbag/on-the-go product. You get the right amount, every time.

The formula.. Oh don't even get me started on this piece of magic. It's a liquid lipstick, but thin as a lipgloss, without the stickyness. They are packed with pigment and one single layer is enough. They apply shiny, but dry to a sort of satin finish, which is where they get their staying power. After a few hours it does feel slightly dry, but a small re-application fixes that right up. They won't last a 5 course meal, but easily through a work-day, a night out or a party. They don't have much of a scent, just slightly floral/perfumey.

The colours that I got are Big Bang, Celestial and Apocaliptic. A bright red, a neutral pink and a full-on darkened fuschia.

On to the swatches!

L-R: Big Bang, Celestial, Apocalips

Big Bang

Big Bang on my lips
Big Band is a classic, orange/warm red. It applies easily and I might end up liking the doe-foot application over the old-school lipstick and brush method. It works very precisely which is a MUST for bright lips and especially reds. It's a beautiful colour, but I think it's the formular that makes it special. It's a pretty common red that will work on most skin-tones.

Celestial
Celestial on my lips

It's a lovely neutral pink, a sort of safe bet I guess. It's not nude, by a long-shot, but it is perfect for most looks that require a little more than just a nude colour. It's very suited for work/school and might very well make its way into my "everyday" stash. It's a type of colour that will work well for light to medium skin.

Apocaliptic

Apocaliptic on my lips
And now on to the gem of the collection: Apocaliptic. This bright, darkened fuschia is what Kate Moss wears in the promos for this line and it is breath-taking. I can assure you that this is what I'll be wearing through spring and summer. It's a beautiful bright colour that will go with any skin-tone, I believe, IF you're up for wearing something this outspoken. I personally love a bright lip.

The Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquers are sold in any drugstore that carries Rimmel and cost €10.99 in Holland. Personally I find the pricepoint fairly high for the brand (considering they are only £5.99 in England), but I feel they are worth every cent.


Pros:

  • Great, practical packaging.
  • Paying €10.99 for this quality isn't too much, I think, considering the prices some pay for worse, high end products.
  • Availability, pretty much all drugstores carry Rimmel throughout Europe.
  • The applicator works very precisely and is very easy to use.
  • Great pigmentation.
  • Stays on for a long time.


Cons:

  • Can feel drying during the day.
  • Smudges slightly and does come off on cups, etc.


Conclusion:
I love these and can promise that I will be wearing them a lot in the coming months.As I said in my last review; I am very impressed with how the drugstore brands are kicking up their game. In the past few years, it has become easier and easier to find good, high quality products in the drugstore and these Lip Lacqers sure bring their A-game. So if you're in need (let's face it, we always are, right ladies?) of a new lip colour, go to your local drugstore and check these out. There's something there for pretty much everybody.


Have you tried these out yet? Let me know what you think!

Thank for you reading and untill next time!

XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment