Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Favourites of the moment!


Time for another favourites post! These are products I've been loving throughout this winter, and seeing as my skin does go drier in the cold months, that has an effect on the products I use and wear. My skin and my lips in particular get paperdry, so a girl's got to make some changes, right? On to the products!

As for face products I've been loving some new stuff. Some are new, some I've had for a while so let's get to  it!

First up MAC Cosmetics Prep+Prime Skin Base. It's a great, basic primer for normal/dry skin. It leaves a slightly luminescent finish on the skin and makes your makeup stay on and look good for a couple of more hours than it normally would. In the warmer months, when my skin gets oily, I can't use this product as it will make my face look like a greaseball in a matter of hours, but for the state my skin is currently in, it's perfect!
It's a pump bottle which is both handy and hygienic. The bottle contains 30ml of product and costs €24.00. It is sold at all MAC Counters and ofcourse via the MAC online store.

I've been enjoying using an illuminating primer for certain spots, like cheekbones and my nose, for that "undetectable" glow. For this I use the Essence My Base Illuminating Make-Up Base. It's a pink toned iridescent primer, which just adds that little bit of glow under the foundation, making the look very natural and slightly dewy. This is also a pump action packaging, but in a tube. Very handy! It contains 20ml of product and costs €3.79 and is sold at Kruidvat. (Dutch drugstore.)

For my foundation I've recently discovered the Max Factor Facefinity All Day Flawless 3in1 Foundation. My colour is 47 Nude. The foundation promises a whole lot, but all I can say is that the coverage is great, it lasts a long time and stays semi-matte on my skin. It's not a completely matte finish, it's more of a "velvety" finish, which is beautiful. The foundation is very liquidy but has a lot of pigment in it, meaning you don't need a lot for good coverage. Which is turn means you easily avoid looking cakey with this product. There's a good shade selection of these, even one a tone lighter than my one for the VERY fair ladies out there. The bottle contains 30 ml of product and costs €14.99. It's sold at all drugstores in Holland.


The face-powder I've been loving is the MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix  Powder Plus Foundation in NC 20. I know it's says "powder foundation" but I only use a light dusting of it to set my foundation and for that extra bit of coverage. It keeps my T-zone matte and if applied lightly, looks very natural. It contains 15 gr of product and costs €30.00. It's sold at all MAC Counters and ofcourse via the MAC online store.

I have lately discovered a new blush (palette) that I've been loving. It's the Sleek Make-Up BlushBy3 in "Lace". It has three colours in it and you can read and in depth review of it here. The palette contains 20 gr of product and costs €12.95. It's available from many webshops, I got mine here. It's a Dutch webshop, but Sleek is also just available through the company's own site. They ship internationally.

I've also rekindled my love for the jewel of my collection: Dior Shimmer Powder in 001 Rose Diamond. It's a light, champagne pink highlighter which gives a gorgeous, suble glow. It's just beautiful. I can sit and stare at the packaging and the product forever. It contains 10gr of product and costs €42.99 This product is available at high-end beauty stores and Dior counters.


On to the eyes! I've been keeping it simple over the winter, but here are my picks!


We'll start off small. I thought it was about time one of my favourite tools got it's time in the spotlight. I firmly believe that your make-up application is only as good as the tools you use. A good brush makes a world of difference and when it comes to eyemake-up there is one brush I can't live without and it's my MAC 217. It's a very soft, very dense, slightly domed crease/blending brush. I've not always had this brush, but since I do, I have no idea how I ever lived without it. If I was ever only allowed to have one brush, this would be it. I also have the Sigma dupe of this brush, but I do still prefer the MAC one. The MAC 217 costs €22.00 and is sold at MAC Counters and of course in their online store.

Next there's the Catrice Eye Brow Stylist in 020 Date With Ashton. I've recently gone back to brown hair, so had to change up my brows. This pencil is an ashy-brown, so very neutral. On top of it I use a warm brown to get the perfect reddish tone that suits the shade of brown I have dyed my hair. The pencil has a very waxy feel to it, which helps it stay in place better. It costs €2.49 and is sold at Kruidvat.

Recently I've fallen in love with a new mascara, a very budget proof one too! The Catrice Lashes to Kill Waterproof Volume Mascara is to me a perfect dupe of my longtime favourite, Maybelline One by One Waterproof. The mascara is very waterproof, doesn't smudge on me and is VERY clump-proof.  The wand has the classic synthetic bristles, which I do like better than the rubbery ones of the Maybelline. It's sold at Kruidvat and costs €3.99.


As eyeshadow goes, I've been keeping it simple. I've been using my Sleek Storm Palette loads and it's just a wonderful product. You can read my review on it here. The palette costs €9.95 and is available from several webshops and from the company's own site.

Beyond this palette I've been using the GOSH Effect Powder in Meringue. I found this in a sale box at Kruidvat for €2.50, which means it's no longer sold, in Holland at least. It's a beautiful shimmery pink/silver that looks almost wet on the eyelid, I love it. The down-side to working with loose powder eyeshadows is fallout, but this can be helped by tapping excess off your brush before applying it to the lid. I find that this stays well on my lid during the day. Usually shimmery/glittery eyeshadows tend to drop down under the eye during the day, but if packed on properly with a flat brush that has been tapped free of excess powder before application, this really stays in it's place. In Holland GOSH is only sold at Kruidvat.


Onto lip favourites!



To take care of my dry lips in the cold weather, I've been using my trusty Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream. This little miracle cream works wonders on any dry, cracked, patchy, chapped skin/lips. I love this product and I never want to live without it. It contains Salicylic Acid which also makes it a chemical exfoliant, so I never have to physically scrub my lips. No dry, cracked winter-lippies here! My tube is a small travel size that I bought at Kruidvat for €4.99 but they don't normally carry the brand. It can otherwise be found at high-end beauty stores.

As far as lip-colour goes, I've been keeping it pretty neutral. First up is MAC Creemsheen Lipstick in Creme Cup. It is a neutral/cool toned light pink with a very moisturizing formular. On my pigmented lips it does look a little warmer than on less pigmented lips. The colour is a perfect neutral lipcolour, goes with anything and is perfect for work/school. MAC lipsticks are €18.50 and for sale at MAC Counters and the MAC online store.

Next up the a L'Oreal Caresse Lipstick in the colour 401 Rebel Red. This is a sheer, warm toned red. They call it a lipstick, but it is really a tinted lipbalm. It's very sheer, very shiny, moisturizing and perfect for a bit of colour without wearing a full-on red lip. Perfect for people who might not quite dare the bright red, like MAC Russian Red or similar. It costs €14.99 and is sold in all drugstores.

L'Oreal Caresse Rebel Red - MAC Creme Cup
Lastly a couple of other beauty related favourites!


We'll start with my true love out of these 4. Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Eau de Toilette. I'm horrible at describing scents, so I won't even try. This is just divine and I'm unfortunately running out. This is pretty much my signature scent, I love it. It's fresh, but not juvenile. This bottle contains 50 ml of perfume and costs €69.00 and is available at any high-en beauty store that carries Chanel scents.

In winter, as I've said a few times now, my skin dries out. Not just on my face, but all over and especially my  hands. To try and prevent that from happening my husband bought me the OPI Avoplex High-Intensity Hand & Nail Cream. It's been wonderful to not have dry, itchy, painful hands the entire season, this cream really is amazing. It sinks into the skin right away, moisturizes instantly and to top it off, it has a wonderful citrusy scent. The tube contains 50 ml and costs €12.95. Available at stores with a larger OPI Display.

To keep on the trail of the dry skin, Rexona Cotton Ultra Dry Anti-Perspirant Anti-Tranpirant Dry Deo Stick 0% Alcohol 48H. Whoa, what a name! But basically, it's a deodorant stick that you twist up and it's a firm, cry cream you apply. It keeps my skin moisturized, dry and avoids smelliness. (This is a tad awkward, but hey we're being honest with eachother here, right?) This costs €4.99 and is available in drugstores.

Lastly we have a hairproduct! I am not a wiz of any kind when it comes to hair, I am actually really bad at it. And it doesn't help that my hair is as thin as my thumb when gathered in a pony-tail. So to add some texture and volume I've been using this Mop C-System Texture Spray. It's basically a salt-water spray with a fancy scent, but I like the messy effect it gives. I spray this on my roots and let it airdry (because I am lazy and can hardly ever be bothered to pick up my blow-drier). It just provides me with texture and body that my sleek, straight, thin hair does not naturally have. I can't find a price anywhere of this, as it seems to be discontinued.


And that's all folks! Thank you for reading, feel free to leave a comment telling me about your favourites or something you think I should try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment